Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Chicago {We pulled it off}

41 students, 5 teachers, 1 bus, 3 days - in Chicago.  We planned this trip back in January, with audacious hopes for success. And this past weekend, we pulled it off.  It was amazing.  I fell in love with the city of Chicago over the weekend, but came away with even more adoration for the 41 students who
traveled with me.  We had the best time, and soaked up the spirit of Chicago, as it were.

Traveling with great high school kids is not for the feint of heart, but it is exhilarating.  If you remember what  it felt like to be 16 years old, then maybe you remember the reckless confidence that was baked into your brain.  I certainly remember that feeling when I was lucky enough to spend three weeks in Europe as a 17 year old. Our teachers trusted us to navigate cities like Rome, Venice, Lucerne, Paris, and London - and we did it with enthusiasm and naivete.  It built my confidence, and inspired me to learn more, travel more, and open my mind to new experiences. That trip was a catalyst for me personally, that pointed me down a path of travel, adventure, and education.  I am so grateful for it.

I wrote about that experience here.

With my experience in mind, we designed this trip so that these kids could have ample opportunities to experience the sights, sounds, and feeling of a large American city - with all of its hustle, diversity, and culture.  So, though we spent some time in traditional tour-oriented places like the Field Museum, architecture tours, Wrigley, and the Museum of Science and Industry - most of our time was spent exploring.

 We trusted the kids to work together to navigate Chicago - and to make good decisions.  At every opportunity - they answered our call, and usually discovered ways to make the adventure better.  Whether we played football in every parking lot (or at Navy Pier), learned to use Chicago's Bike Share, or piled onto the L for some quick transport - we did it together and with absolute gusto.  These kids were all in - and I was right there with them.

I am lucky to be a teacher, and lucky to know these amazing kids.  They make me want to be better - and inspire me to continue to seek adventure in all things.  I learn the most from the kids.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

What is Punk Rock Pedagogy?

The most valuable preparation that I ever received for teaching history in a public high school was from punk rock bands.  Growing up in Win...